The Real Madrid forward is in contention for UEFA Champions League matchday 2 player of the week alongside Andrés Iniesta and a host of stars.
Cristiano had a great game in a tie with Borussia Dortmund at the Signal Iduna Park on a night which marked his 400th appearance for Los Blancos. The Portuguese star recorded a brace in a 1-3 thrashing of Die Borussen to move ahead on a record 109 goals in 141 matches in the elite competition.
The 32-year-old silenced critics to add to an already impressive scoring streak against German top teams. After failing to score in games against Deportivo Alaves and Real Betis in La Liga, the UEFA Best Player was keen to make a big statement in a competition he’s excelled over the years.
The Madeira-born talent was out of the matchday 1 nominees as he had a quiet game at the Santiago Bernabeu against APOEL Nicosia. Although, he buried two goals at the back of the net, his performance on the night was below par. Currently, Cristiano Ronaldo is leading the matchday 2 poll with 52% votes.
BELOW IS A LIST OF ALL NOMINEES FOR MATCHDAY 2 POTW
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid) – 2 attempts, 2 goals
- Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur) – 3 attempts, 3 goals
- Romelu Lukaku (Manchester United) – 4 attempts, 2 goals
- Neymar Jr. – (Paris Saint Germain) – 2 attempts, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Vincent Aboubakar (FC Porto) – 3 attempts, 2 goals
- Andrés Iniesta (Fc Barcelona) – No attempt, No goal(s)
- Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City) – 1 attempt, 1 goal
- Gonzalo Higuain (Juventus) – 1 attempt, 1 goal
With voting still open, football fans can cast their votes on the UEFA official website. We hope the Ballon d’Or winner is named the MVP of the week.