France Football released the 30-man shortlist on Monday, with the Real Madrid superstar nominated once again.
Cristiano Ronaldo is a famous name on the list of most-outstanding players every season and once again, he made no mistake to stake his claim of the prestigious accolade. The Ballon d’Or split from FIFA in 2016 as a temporary merge between both parties came to a downhill. The Real Madrid superstar was crowned after the split in 2016 with his great performances for the Selecçao during an EURO triumph in France and also winning the Champions League with Los Blancos.
With several stars like Messi, Neymar, Dybala making the list, the UEFA Best Player is in contention for a tight competition for the award. All players nominated this year for the Ballon d’Or played immensely for their respective clubs and countries.
Neymar was nominated for the Best FIFA Men’s Player of the year in 2016 and poses a great threat to the Portuguese after his world-record fee of €222m to PSG. He made great cameos for Barcelona prior to his departure from the club and has since continued his trickery displays in the French capital. The Brazilian has netted eight goals for the Ligue 1 title holders so far in the 2017/18 season.
Lionel Messi has been a major rival to Cristiano Ronaldo for almost a decade and the Argentinian captain is in contention to winning this award after guiding the Blaugrana to a Copa Del Rey win over Deportivo Alavés in May 2017. Leo has been impressive for Barcelona in the new season with Ernesto Valverde performing magic in his debut season with the Catalan club.
It is highly expected for Cristiano Ronaldo to scoop the award after his great exploits last season for Los Blancos in the domestic league and Champions League. The Portuguese netted a brace in the UEFA Champions League final against Juventus in a 1-4 thrashing in Cardiff. The 32-year-old’s 25 goals in La Liga last season led the charge to winning the long-awaited trophy since 2012.
Let’s take a quick look at the shortlist for the Ballon d’Or 2017 nominees:
BALLON D’OR 2017: 30-MAN SHORTLIST NOMINEES
1. Neymar (Paris Saint-Germain)
2. Luka Modric (Real Madrid)
3. Paulo Dybala (Juventus)
4. Marcelo (Real Madrid)
5. N’golo Kanté (Chelsea)
6.Luis Suárez (FC Barcelona)
7. Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid)
8. Jan Oblak (Atlético Madrid)
9. Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool FC)
10. Dries Mertens (Napoli)
11. Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City)
12. Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich)
13. David De Gea (Manchester United)
14. Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur)
15. Edin Dzeko (AS Roma)
16. Antoine Griezmann (Atlético Madrid)
17. Toni Kroos (Real Madrid)
18. Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus)
19. Sadio Mané (Liverpool FC)
20. Radamel Falcao (AS Monaco)
21. Lionel Messi (FC Barcelona)
22. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Borussia Dortmund)
23. Edinson Cavani (Paris Saint-Germain)
24. Mats Hummels (Bayern Munich)
25. Karim Benzema (Real Madrid)
26. Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid)
27. Eden Hazard (Chelsea)
28. Leonardo Bonucci (AC Milan)
29. Isco Alarcon (Real Madrid)
30. Kylian Mbappé (Paris Saint-Germain)
— France Football (@francefootball) October 9, 2017
The Madeira-born forward is expected to scoop another individual accolade to round up an impressive campaign after a scintillating performance for both club and country.