Cristiano Ronaldo headlines FIFA’s 24-man shortlist for The Best FIFA Men’s Player of 2017 award.
The winner of last year’s inaugural award was named by a panel of FIFA Legends alongside his arch-rival Lionel Messi, Paris Saint-Germain new boy, Neymar Jnr, and 22 other players who put in commanding performances for their respective clubs in the recently ended season.
Needless to say, the Real Madrid talisman, who won last year’s edition by a decent margin, remains the frontrunner in this year’s edition. The 32-year-old had a prosperous spell leading his club to success in La Liga as well as a historic back-to-back win of the UEFA Champions League.
The memorable fate also saw six other teammates of the player being nominated for the prestigious award, making Real Madrid the club with the most representation on the shortlist. Interestingly, the original list of The Best Men’s Player of The Year was supposed to accommodate 23 men instead of the final 24-man shortlist released.
However, since there was a tie at the 23rd position during the selection process, FIFA decided to maintain the outcome in order to eliminate any sense of bias. The same happened in the coaches category where a tie at the tenth position saw the list being expanded to 12. Here is the full list of the 24 players selected:
- Cristiano Ronaldo [Real Madrid/Portugal]
- Lionel Messi [Barcelona/Argentina]
- Neymar Junior [PSG/Brazil]
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang [Borussia Dortmund/Gabon]
- Leonardo Bonucci [AC Milan/Italy]
- Gianluigi Buffon [Juventus/Italy]
- Paulo Dybala [Juventus/Argentina]
- Antoine Griezmann [Atletico Madrid/France]
- Eden Hazard [Chelsea/Belgium]
- Dani Carvajal [Real Madrid/Spain]
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic [Free Agent/Sweden]
- Andres Iniesta [Barcelona/Spain]
- Harry Kane [Tottenham/England]
- NGolo Kante [Chelsea/France]
- Toni Kroos [Real Madrid/ Germany]
- Robert Lewandowski [Bayern Munich/Poland]
- Marcelo [Real Madrid/Brazil]
- Luka Modric [Real Madrid/Croatia]
- Keylor Navas [Real Madrid/Costa Rica]
- Manuel Neuer [Bayern Munich/Germany]
- Sergio Ramos [Real Madrid/Spain]
- Alexis Sanchez [Arsenal/Chile]
- Luis Suarez [Barcelona/Uruguay]
- Arturo Vidal [Bayern Munich/Chile]
Cristiano Ronaldo FTW! #TheBEST PLAYERS IN THE ?
1. Fully fit Cristiano
2. Injured Cristiano
3. Sidelined Cristiano aka super coach pic.twitter.com/A2b0Vdekdj
— CRonaldoDaily.com (@BreatheRonaldo) August 17, 2017
Per the official website of world football’s governing body, this year’s FIFA Football Awards ceremony is scheduled for Monday, October 23 in London. Voting will commence on Monday, August 21 and will run until Thursday, September 7.
FIFA.com also iterated that the winner of each of The Best Men’s Player of The Year award will be chosen by four groups of football stakeholders across the globe. In further elaboration, every group has been conferred the mandate to determine one-fourth of the total outcome.
This means that 25% of the results will be determined by:
- The captains of all national teams
- The head coaches of all national teams
- A public fan ballot on FIFA.com
- A group of over 200 members of the international media.