Cristiano Ronaldo’s double against Dortmund on Tuesday in the UEFA Champions League took his overall tally against German clubs to 25 in 20 appearances.
The name Cristiano Ronaldo is compatible with goals. And even though the Portuguese forward is yet to hit the ground running in La Liga this season, his form in the UEFA Champions League is simply awe-inspiring.
Comparatively, it may seem a little ambiguous but there is hardly a player who can be said to love the European competition more than the Real Madrid goal machine. And this narrative was, yet again, highlighted in the role he played in his side’s resounding victory at the Signal Iduna Park.
Playing against German oppositions have always forced out spectacular performances from the UEFA Champions League’s all-time goalscorer. It is simple- he knows the terrain and the terrain knows him!
His heroics isn’t as a result of teams being mediocre like many love to put it as aside Dortmund, the likes of Bayern Munich, Schalke, and Wolfsburg have all tasted the sting of his powerful foot.
Systems, tactics, formations, and lineups, among others, have all been frequently tweaked to ensnare the 32-year-old striker, yet he forever finds his way around any form of blockade installed by the German brigades.
Depicted below is a complete breakdown of Cristiano Ronaldo’s numbers:
- Cristiano Ronaldo has netted a total of 25 goals in 20 matches against German opposition.
- Bayern Munich tops the list of German teams to have conceded the most goals against Ronaldo (9). Schalke 04 (7), Borussia Dortmund (6) and Wolfsburg (3) follow suit respectively.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has registered 12 goals on German soil. He has scored five against Borussia Dortmund, four against Bayern Munich and three against Schalke 04.
- Bayern’s Manuel Neuer is the German-based goalkeeper to have conceded the most goals against the Real Madrid all-time goalscorer (9 in 6 matches).
- Cristiano Ronaldo has scored two hattricks and eight braces against the German opposition he’s faced. (Bayern= 1 hattrick and 3 braces, Wolfsburg= 1 hattrick, Schalke= 3 braces, Dortmund= 2 braces)
- Of the 25 goals scored, five are headers, two are through free-kicks and one is via penalty.